Nourishing mac 'n' cheese
What kid doesn't love macaroni and cheese? How about smuggling vegetables into their favorite dinner? The dish will become more nutritious with the addition of squash, leek, and peas. The best part is that it will be just as good or maybe even better!Share by Email Share on Facebook Print Recipe
- 150 g butternut squash
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 300 g pasta (whichever you choose)
- 25 g flour
- 100 g frozen peas
- 175 g cheddar cheese
- 1 slice brown bread (blitzed into crumbs)
- 50 g leaks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the butternut squash in a steamer over boiling water (steam for around 15-20 minutes or until tender).
- Drain, then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the leek and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk.
- Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Stir in the peas and bring it back to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butternut squash, then add 125 g of cheese.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden.
- Ready! Enjoy!