Cheesy broccoli quinoa cakes.
Picky eater on your hands? Are they not getting enough veggies or healthy grains? Here’s a recipe that will satisfy even your picky-eaters palettes. Trust us, they are good and then some!Share by Email Share on Facebook Print Recipe
- 1 pot
- 1 bowl
- 1 frying pan
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 5 large broccoli florets
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shreded cheese
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- First, cook your quinoa according to the directions on the packaging. I cooked mine by combining 1/2 cup of quinoa with 1 cup of boiling water, then letting it come to a boil, and simmering, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa has absorbed all the water (this shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes), put it in a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Next, saute your diced onion until it’s soft and translucent. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Cook your broccoli until it has softened a little bit, then let it cool as well. Once the broccoli has cooled completely, dice it into small pieces.
- Now that you have everything ready, in a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, leaving the egg until the end. Mix well so you have a smooth, wet mixture that will allow you to make patties that will stick together.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and make your patties. I made each using 1/4 cup of the mixture. Just make a ball out of the mixture, and squash it down a little bit. Cook each patty for about 7 – 8 minutes on each side on medium heat. You want the patty to develop a crust, but not to burn, so watch them carefully.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before eating.